Latest #honormycurves Posts
- Love your body no matter what size you are. It makes others uncomfortable to see someone so fat and so confident. Be loud and bold, your body doesn’t add or take away from your value as a human ❤️
1 minute ago
- #wcw #womencrushwednesday 🙌 #yas 💄🍒😻 @lvernon2000
@barbie is such a staple in American beauty standards. Unrealistically thin, blonde and blue-eyed. Did you know that “Slumber Party Barbie” came with accessories like a scale that didn’t go over 110 pounds and a diet book that read “don’t eat”? As a young girl, I used to gravitate towards the white Barbie. Not understanding the reason why. My aunt started buying me the Theresa Barbie, although that particular doll was Latina, she matched my skin tone. She understood how important it was for me to see myself represented.
As I grew older, I began to assimilate to white culture, disregarding any “Blackness” or “Muslimness”. With the thought whiteness meant superiority.
If you aren’t familiar with the Black Doll/White Doll test, please look it up. Essentially the test proved that the majority of children had attributed positive characteristics to the white doll and to the Black doll, negatively (ugly,bad). It’s very hard having racial/size/culture conversations with individuals who’ve never been put in a box with a lid on it because they were born with color or been large (or marginalized body)
It’s hard not being represented, from an early age. When you don’t see yourself represented, that leads to self-hate and deep rooted identity issues.
As a Black Muslim woman in a fat body living in America, I’d love to “see no color”. But, right now all I can do is create visual representations of what I—many of us needed growing up. Inclusion and body autonomy.
So, here’s a fat, Black, and Muslim rendition of 2019 Barbie Special Edition.
There’s a lot to unpack here. How does this photo concept make you feel? What’s the uncomfortableness around race/body issues? Are these conversations being had? Any race can chime in 💁🏽♀️
#detroitblogger #psootd #plussize #instafashion #bodypositive #bgki #effyourbeautystandards #barbie #pizzasisters4lyfe #blackgirlswhoblog #londonblogger #psfashion #blackgirlmagic #muslimgirl #fatacceptance #seventeen #selflove #turbanista #honormycurves #bodydysmorphia #instabeauty #intersectionalfeminism #fashionblogger #eatingdisorderrecovery #editor
15 minutes ago
- Keeping my winter looks fresh by working in my favorite statement pieces! A great bootie and some leopard pants are perfect for keeping my wardrobe fun and exciting as we get through the coldest winter months. I shared this look on the blog last week along with a few other statement bottoms! 💋💋 #michiganblogger
26 minutes ago
- The Motto Skinny Jeans are the perfect fit!!
Tap pic for details 👖
28 minutes ago
- Oh man. The infamous #singlet . First off, it’s not as tight as I thought it would be. I imagined a wetsuit. Second, it’s not holding in all my fat, like I had hoped! .
But...it’s here and shit just got real! A part of me is like “WTF am I doing?” Another part is like “Oh, I got this”. .
Tomorrow is a month out. I don’t feel ready at all. But, just gotta jump in with two feet. #thefearfulwarrior #usapl
45 minutes ago